Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ragtime


The just of the day was going to Ragtime the musical. We went to the lottery, didn't get any winners, but still got discount tickets from the Lottery Loser line. Ragtime is quite simply amazing, it literally left me emotionally spent afterwards. For those in my family, this is the time to possibly get the tissues on hand, because this is where I talk about the harder stuff. Now, for those of my classmates that have no idea what I am talking about, I lost my father almost three years ago. There were many moments that reminded me greatly of my dad. The first time was when Stephanie Umoh who played the role of Sarah sang the song, "Your Daddy's Son." Many people claim that I am a lot like my father, making that song very relatable. Then any scenes in the first act that had Coalhouse or Tateh showing very fatherly influences, took me over the edge. The final moment during the show that took me over the edge was when you see Coalhouse's son older run onstage and play around, because I only really saw myself in the image of the little boy, even though he lost people close to him, he still grows up. After the show, Mike McGowan, a South Dakota boy who was part of the cast, took us backstage, which was awesome. It was so empowering to stand on a Broadway stage, and listen to Mike's experiences with the amazing show we watched. The greatest moment was getting to meet Quentin Earl Darrington, who was in the role of Coalhouse, just because he reminded me so much of my father. All around, another great night out east, looking forward to the rest of the experience out here in New York.

1 comment:

  1. This was a very brave posting Jon. I mean it with all my heart, that this entry was as cathartic for me as any play that I have seen. Your honesty is cherished.

    ReplyDelete